Aluminum is part of the solution to climate change and to our energy challenges. Aluminum is light weight, strong and infinitely recyclable. Not only is it a sustainable material itself, but aluminum helps make other products more environmentally friendly.
- Use of aluminum helps building projects qualify for green building status under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards.
- Aluminum can provide insulation and allows daylight and fresh air into buildings. Strengthened alloys can support large glass structures and solar panels.
- Coated aluminum roofs reflect up to 95 percent of sunlight, dramatically improving energy efficiency.
- The efficiency of solar panel designs can be improved up to 22 percent by covering their surfaces with aluminum studs.
- Compared with a fleet of traditional steel vehicles, aluminum use saves the equivalent of 108 million barrels of crude oil in energy.