The Aluminum Association, based in Arlington, VA, is searching for a Project Manager Engineer, Standards. Established in 1933, the Aluminum Association is the trade association for the North American aluminum industry and has a $7.5M budget. The Aluminum Association is the industry’s leading voice in Washington, D.C., providing global standards, industry statistics, trade policy and expert knowledge to member companies and policy makers nationwide. Highly engaged in public policy and technical forums, the Association is committed to advancing aluminum as the sustainable metal of choice around the world.
This role, which reports to the Vice President, Standards & Technology will support the Standards & Technology Department.
The Project Manager Engineer, Standards will provide project management support to The Aluminum Association membership and staff. This comprises the initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of multiple projects. The Project Manager - with the assistance of the team - will drive the development and maintenance of the ANSI H35 series of standards. These form the foundation of the standards and specifications that govern the commerce of aluminum and its broad range of alloys and product forms.
Responsibilities of the Project Manager Engineer, Standards
- Manage the standards development function of the aluminum industry in accordance with ANSI essential and member driven requirements.
- Update and create The Aluminum Association’s technical publications. These publications include technical requirements that must be correctly interpreted and accurately communicated.
- Engage with members to establish consensus on related matters and encourage participation from all member in order to obtain a consent.
- Prepare and maintain committee and committee task groups meeting notices, agendas, minutes, budgets and all other related correspondence.
- Oversee/assist committee and task group ballots with letters related to alloy/temper registration.
- Conduct research as directed, in response to inquiries from committee members and other interested parties.
- Maintain accurate records and files of activities for easy reference and retrieval by staff and members.
- Prepare, organize and provide staff support for several major Aluminum Association Committee meetings including Technical Committee on Product Standards, Casting & Recycling and the Electrical Division, some of which coincide with the Association’s Spring and Annual meetings.
- Performs additional ad hoc tasks driven by management or committees as requested or required.
Required Qualifications – Project Manager Engineer, Standards
- B.S degree in materials engineering or equivalent technical field.
- Minimum 3 years project management experience; PMP certification a plus.
- Demonstrate organizational skills and ability to plan projects, solve problems, accurately complete tasks, meet deadlines and can pivot and adjust priorities responsive to short- and long-term needs.
- Excellent communication skills including writing technical reports.
- Ability to read, write, interpret and understand technical details as communicated by members and staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, comfortable working in both a team environment and individually, with the ability to communicate with industry and standards technical representatives.
- Ability to work autonomously, make decisions, extract meaningful information from data then effectively present and communicate to the key decision-makers.
- Ability to lead, mediate a consensus, effectively and professionally, should the need arise.
- Effectively use custom software packages designed to facilitate collaborative workflow.
- Flexibility to work extended hours, as needed.
What Can the Aluminum Association Offer to the Right Candidate?
- The Aluminum Association is a collaborative organization with a high degree of communication, trust, and mutual respect among employees. Your colleagues are professional and committed to their work; they are respectful and work well together as a team.
- This is a highly visible position that will allow you to interact with senior industry professionals, including members as at our spring and annual meeting.
- We have a light and modern workplace within a very nice building in Crystal City, close to metro, VRE, bus stops, and a range of restaurants and eateries. Amazon’s new offices will be in our neighborhood.
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending account, Paid Parking, 401k, 10 paid holidays, 3 optional paid time off holidays, 12 days’ vacation in year one with added vacation days with years of service and more.
How to Apply for the Position of Project Manager Engineer, Standards:
Simply email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Project Manager Engineer, Standards” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email with your salary requirements.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.